Wednesday 31 October 2012

Non-Alcoholic Pure Vanilla Extract

Salam! Hope to find you in good health & spirit :)

Do you know that 95% of food or products that contains vanilla are actually made of synthetic vanilla? Well for me, I was more surprised to find out that vanilla essence is actually synthetic 'vanilla' that has nothing to do with real vanilla. No wonder that on its own, it tastes awful.

After knowing this, I went about trying to find real vanilla extract as I heard that it does wonders to baked goods. 

I first found it in a Cold Storage mart and I did a double take when I saw the price; it was MYR 29.90 for a small bottle of a few ounces. But then again you cannot expect it to be cheap because vanilla is one of the most expensive spice in the world. So before putting it inside my shopping basket, I checked on the ingredients and again did a double take; it contained alcohol :( As a Muslim, I cannot consume alcohol and though I would love to use pure vanilla in my baking, I had to put the bottle of pure vanilla back on the shelf.

That night I went about the internet to find out more about vanilla and vanilla extract. I managed to find out so much more about vanilla beans and why it is so expensive (vanilla beans can only be produced when the vanilla orchids or flowers are pollinated manually by hand, so it is labour intensive) and to my delight, non-alcoholic pure vanilla extract can be made by combining food grade glycerin, a bit of water and vanilla beans. After letting it sit in an air-tight jar for at least 6 weeks, you will have your very own homemade pure vanilla extract.

I have since made two batches of vanilla extract and now awaiting for my third batch to mature by the end of November, and I have never used synthetic vanilla ever since :) I find that using pure vanilla gives more flavours and aroma to my baked goods. 

If you would like to purchase pure vanilla extract from me, I am more than happy to share it with you. However, do note that pure vanilla extract made using glycerin cannot achieve the same deep amber colour of those made using alcohol, but I compensate it by using more vanilla beans per litre of glycerin used. Anyway, they make great gifts too!

Sizes available and price (not inclusive of delivery charges):

200ml (approximately 40 teaspoons) - RM 30.00
100ml (approximately 20 teaspoons) - RM 20.00

To purchase, please email me the following details and I shall send you my bank account number and the amount to be banked in. Once payment has been confirmed, I shall send out the vanilla extract by Poslaju within the same day or on the next business day, insyaAllah :)

1. Name
2. Quantity (please specify size)
3. Address

Non-Alcoholic Pure Vanilla Extract - 200ml (MYR 30.00) & real vanilla beans




7 comments:

  1. Hello, thank you for the information. Same with us where make vanilla extract use vegetable glycerin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thank you for the information. Same with us where make vanilla extract use vegetable glycerin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I know your location? Do you still selling the vanilla extract?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do u still sell? I want to buy. Tq

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I'm interested to buy. Do you still sell?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I'm interested to buy. Do you still sell?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. i want to buy ur homemade vanilla extract.

    ReplyDelete